What do you think about signing your drawings? Is it necessary or does it matter?

By Kimmo Oja

• Hugo Seijas artist
    Hugo Seijas (@hugo) Plus Member
    12/13/2018 @ 12:25pm

I don't find it necessary for most things, but I think it legitimatizes the art that is actually sold as authentic.

• OKAT artist
    OKAT (@okat) Plus Member
    12/13/2018 @ 4:08pm

Nowadays I sign my drawings mostly as a form of protection. Social media makes it so easy for folks to reshare and repost work with no credit to the original artist. I keep it subtle and usually in the bottom-right corner.

• Tressy Jane artist
    Tressy Jane (@tressyjane)
    12/14/2018 @ 8:36pm

I don't think you have to but I choose to because I feel it says to someone else that that piece belongs to someone and I enjoy doing that finishing touch when I feel my piece is complete.

• kid tiki artist
    kid tiki (@kidtiki)
    12/17/2018 @ 6:21am

i think it's necessary to help recognise your work as your brand. By putting your name on it you send it out into the world amongst all the other brands, but helping to distinguish yours as unique and just as important as every other brand that is out there. And when a person likes your work, your brand name helps them to recognise and search more of your work. Peace.

• Kimmo Oja artist
    Kimmo Oja (@Kimoja) Plus Member
    12/17/2018 @ 9:53am

Great and very important comments from all of your. Maybe my bigger problem in signin drawings is that i feel like braggin or pretend to be like real artist if sign my works.

• OKAT artist
    OKAT (@okat) Plus Member
    12/17/2018 @ 5:49pm

@Kimoja Kimmo! Are you kidding? You are a real artist!!! Your work is incredible. I'm just a self-taught doodler and I sign my work. It's about being proud of your creation and trust me, the people that like your style will be proud that you've signed the piece.

• Lauren Konopacki artist
    Lauren Konopacki (@lettermore) Plus Member
    12/17/2018 @ 8:40pm

I can definitely see why artists do that, but I don't personally...I really admire when artists have a cool, well thought-out mark or symbol that serves as the signature .. something that you could make a stamp out of and just SEAL THAT SUCKER! love it.

• Caroline Rodriguez artist
    Caroline Rodriguez (@carolinerodriguez)
    12/18/2018 @ 10:04am

@lettermore That's interesting that you don't Why is that? @Kimoja Say what? You are kidding right? Your work is fabulous. There is no such thing as a "real artist" in the end you find the group of people that like your style or messaging. I agree that not everything needs a signature if you are sketching in your book and what have you, but it's your art, do what you please with it!

• Kimmo Oja artist
    Kimmo Oja (@Kimoja) Plus Member
    12/18/2018 @ 10:18am

Thanks @okat and @carolinerodriguez for so kind comments :) Why i start and want this discussion? It is not that i feel i am not any good and worth of it. Some reasons , i dont know why, i am not feeling comfortable when sign my works. Like Lauren @lettermore says i want some stamp or something to mark my works. In my new post i use some kind of it

• LiterarySketches artist
    LiterarySketches (@LiterarySketches)
    12/18/2018 @ 1:16pm

I think that if you want to share your art, you should sign it in an easy to see place so if someone steals it, you have your watermark on it. People can remove watermarks in Photoshop but if you signed it, it's more likely that someone who saw your original piece will recognize that it's your art because they saw your signature on it originally and they can notify you. If you don't want to share it or if you are only going to show someone briefly in person, you don't really need to sign it. You should always put the date on your art, so you can look back to that point in time and know when you made the art and you can measure your growth through time. It also helps you organize your art by style because that changes over time and you probably made the art of the same or a similar style if the periods are near each other. It's still up to you but I think signing your work (espiacally if you have a large following) is a good way to prevent art theft but tracing is kind of difficult to avoid because they don't need to remove your signature, they drew it so they just wont put it in. Tracing is fine if you do it for practice but not if you claim it so maybe try something more thorough if you are worried about that. I get that feeling of not wanting to sign my artwork. It makes it feel less organic sometimes. Try coming up with some sort of a logo or a symbol that you can mark your art with, that can help sometimes. You can make it less conspicuous but still clear. Or if you really don't wanna sign it, who says you have to! Your art is all up to you so do what makes you happy! Like @lettermore said, it has benefits but if you don't like it, that's totally okay too. If you put a date on it, even on the back if it's not digital, time can be enough proof.

• LiterarySketches artist
    LiterarySketches (@LiterarySketches)
    12/18/2018 @ 1:20pm

@Kimoja Anything creative that expresses something is art. from poems to still-lifes. From art school to self-taught. From doodles to realism, it's all art! I don't think signing is like bragging at all, I think it's just a preference of signing it or not signing it. Maybe try signing the back, or just putting a date. If someone takes a signature as a brag, they probably still wont take a date as one.

• LiterarySketches artist
    LiterarySketches (@LiterarySketches)
    12/18/2018 @ 1:21pm

@kidtiki Well said

• Junkyard Sam artist
    Junkyard Sam (@JunkyardSam) Plus Member
    12/18/2018 @ 1:38pm

Some of my favorite artists sign their work on the back, and I feel like there's confidence in that... They choose purity of the art over self promotion or credit. It's like they know their style is so recognizable that they don't need their signature on the art. Other times I see artists on the internet use a giant watermark name across their art. Often the people who do that aren't even good -- no one's going to "steal their work." It's just offensive to the viewer. Signing subtlely in the corner is OK. It's standard and what most people advise. Some asian artists use a red stamp as a signature and that can look really nice. I guess I'd like to sign my work on the front but I don't because I feel like it would detract from the art. The few times I've done it -- I've regretted it... so I sign on the back unless a buyer requests otherwise.

• Bobcomics artist
    Bobcomics (@Bobcomics)
    12/18/2018 @ 1:43pm

I rarely (if ever) sign a doodled drawing as that takes away from the spontaneous nature of doodling. If I have put enough work into the drawing I usually sign it as a finishing touch.

• Hugo Seijas artist
    Hugo Seijas (@hugo) Plus Member
    12/18/2018 @ 1:59pm

@JunkyardSam yes! It also puts a huge barrier to anyone that wants to share it because of the huge water mark.

• Junkyard Sam artist
    Junkyard Sam (@JunkyardSam) Plus Member
    12/18/2018 @ 2:04pm

@hugo I thought about your note about how a signature legitimizes the art. To your point -- I suspect if a person is a fan of an artist then they would actually LIKE the signature on the art for that exact reason, if they are buying a piece. It also helps for identification if the work is posted or pinned on Pinterest with no credit. So maybe I should rethink my take on it. I just worry it could look "spammy." It just depends on the art. For some people a signature fits naturally and even looks good on a piece. As a buyer I would definitely want the signature.

• AKU NAPIE artist
    AKU NAPIE (@akunapie)
    12/19/2018 @ 10:13am

for me, i do sign it. because i proud with my artwork. :)

• Kimmo Oja artist
    Kimmo Oja (@Kimoja) Plus Member
    12/19/2018 @ 4:45pm

What @literarysketches say about date at back of paper is really good idea ! I start to use it, later is hard to say when draw it I’ve been thinkin that asian style stamp too. It looks nice too

• Joanna M Gregores artist
    Joanna M Gregores (@joannagregores) Plus Member
    12/21/2018 @ 5:12am

Ialways sign my work, i think it's a way of showing that your respect what you do!

• James A Salvo artist
    James A Salvo (@Jimart7)
    12/21/2018 @ 10:44pm

Sign your art. Someone likeminded will want to get with you about your style and creativity sometimes, and art is all about sharing what you do and who you are. Your work is important to you...sign it!

• Marina Wang artist
    Marina Wang (@Bungehappy)
    12/24/2018 @ 8:55pm

I don't think you NEED to sign your work, but I like to write my name and the date on most of my doodles and art just because it makes it seem complete.